Wednesday 4 July 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Snow White and the Huntsman is the second film to be released this year based on the Brother's Grimm fairytale. This version is classed as a twisted fairytale and is very unlike the images I have seen for Mirror Mirror (2012). When the Huntsman is ordered to kill Snow White, he instead becomes her protector and mentor in her quest to defeat the Evil Queen.

Snow White is packed full with stars and is one of the best parts of the film.
I wasn't expecting a lot from Kristen Stewart as Snow White because I was basing her performance as an actress on Twilight (I do not like Twilight). However, I was surprised because she was quite good. Unlike the other versions, Snow White wasn't waiting for her one true love to come and rescue her. Instead, she took an active role in her liberation.
Chris Hemsworth plays the rugged, drunk Huntsman and I thought he was really good because he was just as good as the Knights and I wanted to give him a hug because he has had a hard life (As you've probably gathered I want to give many characters hugs). I also liked the fact that he featured more in this version of the story because you understand why he lets Snow White go. Plus, he's a bit of eye candy for the ladies.
The 'prince' (he's not really a prince), Snow White's childhood friend, William is played by Sam Claflin. The first film I saw Claflin in was Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger's Tides and I thought he was good, but I think he's better in Snow White because he's more, use a bow and arrow and less preachy. He was more active in Snow White. I also found his character slightly adorable because he felt awful for leaving Snow White behind and he's obviously in love with her.
Personally I think one of the best scenes is when the dwarfs are introduced. Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone, Nick Frost, Toby Jones, Johnny Harris, Eddie Marsan and Brian Gleeson play the most amazing dwarfs I have ever seen (minus Gimli). The dwarfs are great because they are grumpy, caring and very handy to have in a fight. They can also sing and dance. They are also great because as you slowly realise who is playing the dwarfs, you sit in a state of 'Oh my God,' and 'that's epic.' My favourite dwarf is Gus (Brian Gleeson) because he is so happy and lovely.
Chalize Theron plays the evil Queen, Ravenna and I love this take on the character because she wasn't just vain. the obsession ran deeper. I also thought the idea that it was men's obsession with female beauty cause her obsession was inspired. I also liked that we saw her use a range of cool powers.
Sam Spruell plays Ravenna's brother, Finn and he was also surprisingly good because he was really creepy. I was slightly disappointed that the cut across his face made by Snow White didn't leave a nasty scare. That would have added to his creepy personality.
Now, the magic mirror is no longer cheesy. There is no actors face pasted onto a mirror. Instead, it's a golden disc that melts and morphs into a caped man with no face (this is the best way I could describe it, sorry). I liked this because it was slightly scary as the queen was the only one who could see him.
I was annoyed by the changing accents of Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth because they weren't necessary in the first place.

I had expectations of the settings in Snow White from the posters. Initially, I thought they had copied Alice in Wonderland (2010), but once again I was surprised.
It is no secret that I love the Disney princess films and I was happy to see that the Dark Forest looked exactly like the one in Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. All of the dead, twisted trees made the forest that bit creepier. I also liked the idea that the forest played with your fears and the troll at the bridge because he looked like part of the forest.
The Fairy Sanctuary was amazing and I wish it was real. The tall trees, green grass and sunshine was a beautiful change to the dark, dull settings featured earlier in the film. The weird and wonderful plants added to its beauty. My particular favourite were the mushrooms with eyes.
The Castle was just how you would imagine an evil fairytale castle to be and I loved that it was surrounded by the sea because it made it seem impenetrable.

The story followed a similar layout to the previous versions of Snow White. All of the key scenes were there; Snow White escaping, the Huntsman being sent to kill her and failing to do so, Snow White biting the apple and a kiss waking her up. But the twists, in my opinion, made the story better. The Huntsman taking care of her makes more sense than the previous versions where he leaves her to wonder into a dangerous forest. My favourite twist was the Huntsman's kiss waking Snow White rather than the prince's (William) because it plays with your expectations.
However, I do have some issues with the story. My friends and I felt that the magic needed explaining more because you never understand it entirely. For example, you don't know why only the Queen can see the man in the mirror. I also feel that as an audience, we are left without closure and that is infuriating because you don't know who Snow White ends up with. The Huntsman or William? We can't expect closure either because it is very unlikely that a sequel will be made as they have killed the villain and left a happy-ish ending. My friends and I came up with multiple endings that would have left us feeling a bit happier because we would have had closure. But, alas it is too late.

Overall, I found the film to be a happy surprise and I quite enjoyed the twists and turns. I also enjoyed the humour because it was added at the right moments.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post covering all the points I would have made. :D I agree with everything! Surprisingly good film. x

    ReplyDelete