Wednesday 28 March 2012

The Three Musketeers (2011)

This was recently released on DVD and I have been waiting to watch it since it was release in the cinema (I had no money to go and see it). I knew that lots of people didn't want to go and see it because they loved previous Musketeer films. This just made my expectations extremely high. Personally, I love 'The Man In The Iron Mask' and I couldn't really imagine anyone else playing the legendary characters.
The film features many big name stars, making my expectations go through the roof. I actually liked their portrayal of the Musketeers. They were witty, drunkards that would do anything for France. They also offered light relief in some seriously tense scenes, especially Porthos (Ray Stevenson). Matthew Macfadyen's portrayal of Athos was particularly my favourite because he was serious and funny at time. Orlando Bloom played the Duke of Buckingham and I think he may be typecast  to sail ships on the sea, under it and now in the clouds. It was a nice change to see him playing someone you're supposed to hate.
Although it wasn't my favourite film of all time, I still enjoyed it. The costumes and sets were amazing. A lot of detail was put into creating them. I applaud the costumes department for the amazingly, elaborate costumes that popped out of the screen.
The most surprising part of the film is the flying ships. Some people love them, others don't. They certainly annoyed my Dad. I personally thought they looked beautiful and I love the idea of them. However, I feel that the CGI let them down a bit in the long shots. They weren't as believable as you'd imagine with the technology we have today.
You're personal opinions will be varied in terms of The Three Musketeers, but I think you will all find a part of the film that you love, be it the flying ships, the costumes or the characters. It is really worth watching, even if you just want to moan about it not being as good as previous Musketeer films. I would happily watch it again and would welcome a sequel (Especially if Logan Leerman is i it).

No comments:

Post a Comment