Friday 16 March 2012

Black Death (2010)

I know this isn't a new film, but I feel it's worth mentioning. Very few people have heard of this film and I'm not surprised. There was very little, major marketing campaign. Only a few trailers/posters here and there. I only discovered it because I was surfing the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) and happened to stumble across it. I then only watched the film because Sean Bean stars in it. I've loved him ever since Lord of the Rings. At this point I wasn't expecting much from the movie.
The story is of a young monk (Eddie Redmayne) who chose to lead a Knight (Sean Bean(A Pious Boromir!)) and his mercenaries to a village to learn the truth about the reports of people being brought back to life and their lack of faith in Christianity. Expect some true questioning of the Christian religion within the film.
When I came to watch it, I found it surprisingly good. I'm not a major fan of the horror adventure genre, but I enjoyed this. The historical content made the horror more believable. I especially enjoyed the ending as it was misleading. Director, Christopher Smith created an unexpected, but believable ending. He leads you to think one thing and does the complete opposite. Genius.
The title Black Death obviously suggests there is a lot of dying, but the majority of death isn't from the plague. If you are squeamish or don't like to see limbs flying about the place, then this isn't your film. There had to be some horror.
I would happily recommend this film to anyone. I would also recommend watching it in a dark room because some scenes are hard to see.
A truly surprising film.

5 comments:

  1. Em, you might have to do the spellcheck on your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did spell check it and it said everything was fine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own it, found it in tesco about 6 months ago and thought it would be worth a go. Actually liked it. Not just for sean Bean. You don't hear much about any villages that escaped the Black Death (okay they didn't in the end- but the thought is there that if Sean Bean and his men hadn't gone there then they could have) as most documentaries and films concentrate on the spread of the disease in major towns and cities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you do. It's well worth it.

    ReplyDelete