Wednesday 1 August 2012

3D: You Either Love It Or Hate It

3D, the newest craze in the film industry. I neither love it or hate it. I know many people who are fascinated with 3D. They will go and see 3D versions of films and will complain when films aren't in 3D. However, I also know twice as many people who don't like 3D and I understand why.
The first 3D film I saw was Spy Kids 3-D. As a child this was one of the most amazing films ever. You got to wear the retro glasses and objects came flying out at you, making you jump. This is what I loved about 3D. It was great before it became all stylised and techno-dependent. I will also admit to liking Avatar in 3D and that was the main reason I wanted to go and see the film. In 2009 we were drawn to the cinema to see Avatar because of the 3D and I feel that if it hadn't been in 3D, it may not have had as large a box office takings as it does.
However, now I feel that 3D is being over used and in the wrong kinds of films. Avatar, for example, was just as good in 2D. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger's Tides was better in 2D for me because I found it really hard to concentrate on certain action scenes when it was in the 3D format. This goes for the majority of live action films. I still enjoy seeing animations in 3D, but once again they're just as good in 2D. You can obviously tell when watching a 2D film that it was made for 3D, but that doesn't take anything away from the film.
3D has become a gimmick to make money in my opinion. Cinema prices shot up when 3D was introduced to pay for the new equipment that they needed to play the films, but after 3 years these prices either haven't change by much or have risen. You have to pay extra for the glasses and the luxury of seeing the film in 3D. The price for a 2D ticket alone is ridiculous for an adult, but then add the 3D charges on top and your spending a small fortune, especially in a recession. As I said in a previous post, the film industry is there to make money by entertaining us and this seems to work, but at a small, extra price(A large one if you have a big family).
Recently James Cameron re-released Titanic in 3D for the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking and I don't agree with this. The film was perfect in 2D and it would have made just as much money in the re-release if it was left like this. I don't understand what 3D adds to a film like that...a little bit of depth, but that's all. The film wasn't made to be in 3D.
This doesn't apply to everyone, but the glasses do annoy me. I have to wear glasses to the cinema anyway and it's not comfortable wearing two pairs of glasses and frankly you look like a bit of an idiot. I think this puts of many people because they cant wear the two pairs of glasses. I think if they really want 3D to catch on they need to do something about this. Today, I went to see Ice Age: Continental Drift and my friend and I had chosen to see it in 2D. The screening before ours was in 3D and our film was 30 minutes late because they seemed to be having problems with the screen after the 3D showing. This is another issue they need to sort out if they really want the craze to catch on.
Overall, I do enjoy 3D films to a certain extent, but I believe that it is being over used and should be kept to certain genres of films because it's hard to watch certain films in 3D and it isn't always necessary.


1 comment:

  1. I hate the glasses too. I have such a small head, I have to actually hold them on my face...

    Nice post! I do agree with you about this. :)

    ReplyDelete